Sox Watch

Thursday, August 10, 2006

Red Sox WPA through 8/9/06

Not much to say about this game - easily the most painful loss of the year.

One point to note is the walk-off single by Sweeney. Manny made the play in shallow left field and appeared to have a play at the plate, but apparently couldn't get the ball out of his glove, and ended up not making a throw at all. The question here is how to apportion the WPA on this play between Papelbon and Ramirez. For routine plays, I debit/credit the pitcher with the full WPA total for the play, but for unusually good (or bad) plays, this gets shared with the fielder(s) in question. Here, Manny could arguably have saved the game with a decent throw to the plate, but that is speculative - Grudzielanek has decent speed, and was off on contact. I elected to give 25% of the WPA to Manny, for not even having a chance to make the play at home. Papelbon gets the remaining 75%, for giving up the hit in the first place.

Individual Player WPA Contributions
Wednesday, 8/9/06
Red Sox 4, Royals 5

Full-Season Player WPA Contributions
Through Wednesday, 8/9/06

Full-Season Category WPA Contributions
Through Wednesday, 8/9/06


Post a Comment

<< Home